Thursday, May 30, 2024

A walk through the gin

 It was called Bruegel Brothers Cotton Gin, founded in 1958, closed in 1992. But it was a bustling hub of cotton commerce back in the day. Some time in the 70s, a grain elevator was added. The pad for the scale house and CAT scales is still at the front of the land by the driveway.

The gin itself looks like they just turned out the lights and walked away. All the equipment is still in place, some of it still has belts. Tweakers stripped most of the wiring they could get to, but almost all of the motors are in place. Let’s do a walkthrough.













7 comments:

MattB said...

I bought a government pile of scrap and sold it to the local scrapyard. I loaded 64,000 ponds of steel scrap into my 16 foot trailer (multiple loads) and hauled it to the yard where I had to unload it. I got 2 cents a pound. $1280.00. Mixed in with the steel was aluminum, brass, and copper.I got about $7500.00 for this. Steel is about 7 cents a pound right now. Do you have any idea about how much weight you might have?

WiserAngel said...

Not a clue, but I imagine it’s pretty hefty.

Anonymous said...

You could set up a massive flea market/farmer's market in there.

wirecutter said...

Machinery like that fascinates me. I'd preserve it as my own personal museum.

Anonymous said...

Everybody NEEDS there own cotton gin. I'd have to keep it, but I'm with Wirecutter, love those old machines.
Good to see you back!

WiserAngel said...

I have to admit I love walking through there and looking at everything. Some of the gear clusters are like artwork.

WiserAngel said...

It’s good to be back.