Friday, August 22, 2014

Exciting autism research: Synapse pruning

This is one of the very few theories that actually makes sense. Especially when considering sensory overload and hypersensitivity to stimulii that many people with autism suffer. The theory concerns an overabundance of synapses in the brain, which might sound like a good thing at first, you know, more is better. But then you start thinking about how the nation's traffic would look with a bunch of narrow two-lane highways going to the same destinations instead of large, muliple-lane highways to carry the load more efficiently. That's basically what's going on in the Cute Chicks' brains. Too many little pathways, all firing simultaneously. A healthy human brain starts "pruning" the excess synapses from toddler years into young adulthood; however, this pruning doesn't occur in an autistic brain. Most of the pharmacological treatments are focused on "slowing down the synapses" so that the person can receive, process, and act on stimulii clearly and calmly. It takes very little to overwhelm someone with autism. The synapses are going nuts and the default setting is fight or flight. Introducing "pruning" into their brains could be a non-chemical answer to many of the more debilitating symptoms. Crossing my fingers on this one.

Read More Here

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angel, I don't pretend to know anything but if you are like me you will read anything that might help your children.

http://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/autisms-gut-brain-connection/33302.article?utm_source=B1&utm_medium=pp&utm_campaign=pp

hiswiserangel said...

I absolutely believe in the gut-brain connection. The Cute Chicks have been Gluten free-Casein free for 6 years. When we went off of gluten, 8 weeks detox, with probiotic supplementation, the girls' health improved drastically, and going off casein (dairy protein), their attention, focus increased and meltdowns decreased.

Anonymous said...

About eleven from the bottom.

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2014/s3966636.htm

Cederq said...

I haven't been reading your blog for long and I am assuming the "cute Chicks" are relatives or daughters.
I am an Uncle to an Autistic child, my brothers son. I have been involved with his life and therapy, I have heard of this "Too many Synapses" theory and while me or my brother, his wife are exploring different treatments much hasn't been written or published about it. I will look more into it and would appreciate any info you have on it. My sister in law has implemented the Free Gluten/Casein diet regime in her house and I can attest the major difference in my nephew's behavior. I even practice that diet and I have noted dramatic difference in my diabetes so much I have cut insulin use by 75%. Sorry about the long post.
Kevin, kevcederquist@gmail.com

hiswiserangel said...

Not a problem, Cederq. The cute chicks are my daughters, otherwise known as Teen Queen and Baby Queen. They're 19 and 16, the youngest is nonverbal and more profoundly affected. The GFCF diet was a Godsend to us, not the easiet thing to follow, but the benefits make it worth it.

Chief Nose Wetter said...

Have you been following the William Thompson story? CDC whistle blower on autism. Stay well and yes I do not have a problem finding the you know what.

hiswiserangel said...

I've been following that story, and I'm not surprised in the least. I'm just amazed he hasn't met with an unfortunate accident yet.

West Tx at Heart said...

Whatever helps, keep up the good fight. Your a great mom!