Monday, August 4, 2014

Mondays are like that


Okay, so y'all remember that cutie puppy, Monkey? Yeah, I went to visit with him and start the paperwork if we hit it off. I sat on the floor of the meeting room and they brought him to me. No awkward moments between us as he climbed in my lap and stuck his snout down my tshirt, I scratched his ears and rubbed his belly, we played tug of war and fetch, and I fell deeply in love. 

Apparently adopting a dog is quite the affair, in addition to the paperwork and the $90 adoption fee, you also have to pass a home inspection. This didn't give me a minute's worry as we have a nice, comfortable home and a HUGE fenced backyard. Puppy paradise, if you know what I mean. So the shelter lady came Friday morning, and passed the house and yard, and then met the Cute Chicks. And this is where our fairytale hits a snag. According to the Powerful Pet Guardian, autism is grounds for denying an adoptive family, citing volatile and dangerous outbursts as being hazardous to the prospective pooch. This was one of those disconnect moments, out of body experiences, in which the MomMonster rises up out of the suburban soccer mom body and devours anyone who threatens the peace, safety and happiness of her Cute Chicks. I believe I schooled Ms. High and Mighty about what autism IS and what it ISN'T; and assured her that, unlike a lot of parents today, I am a very involved, attentive and hands on parent. I taught our girls to respect life and to protect and defend those who are smaller and weaker than them. They may not understand calculus (well, neither do I for that matter), but this is a lesson they learned well. We had Charlie for almost 13 years, and during that time she was never hurt or mistreated. Towards the end, when she was weak and failing, Teen Queen would lay in the floor next to her and scratch her head, talking to her. She came from a very sad life of abuse, neglect and ultimately abandonment into a life of love and care. With two autistic kids. I got the standard, "I'm sorry, this is our policy and we must keep the dogs' best interest in mind." 

I think I may have called her a few choice names and told her what she could do with her dogs. You know, basically exploded that bridge with extreme prejudice. So there's no way we'll be getting a pooch from that place, I'm back to square one. I've talked to Charlie's vet, and gotten the word out to some other people. God brought Charlie literally to our doorstep, we're hoping for another puppy miracle. I'll keep y'all posted.

9 comments:

Jesse in DC said...

I think I would want to see that policy in writing. I also think the ADA might not agree with that assesment... I am NOT a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I did once stay at a Holiday Inn.

Phil said...

Don't worry, it will happen.
There is a little varmint out there with your name on it.
;)

Unknown said...

You shoulda told that beeyotch that you was in illegal invader, er, I mean a pre-registered demoncrat. She'd pawned off the whole pound on you then. Seriously, there's a million options. Look into another animal rescue agency that's more tolerant and diverse. Damn, did I say that out loud?

Anonymous said...

I worked with a rescue for several years. It seems to be becoming more and more common for these groups to lose sight of the ultimate goal of finding lasting homes for the animals. I came to the defense of a few families who wanted a rescue but still had an intact show dog in the home. The rescue wanted to deny the adoption even though the home was excellent.

I also ran into a few 'rescuers' who could have been classified as collectors because no home was ever good enough. The dogs were never adopted.

Tass

Mike Roberts said...

I suppose the dog's best interest is to let it stay in a 4x4 crate or smaller until they run out of space and are forced to put it to sleep. I've run into a similar issue because my family has a farm. Apparently, having space for the dog to enjoy itself is a huge problem, but living in a housing complex with barely any room to run isn't. I HATE THESE SHELTERS and their bassackward rules!

Bruce Wayne said...

Yep, I understand. There's a "no-kill" shelter like this one in San Antonio that does the same thing. Rules so strict that a dog probably wouldn't like the home anyway (if one could ever be found). They hold fundraisers all the time for their snooty rich friends for money but never seem to find homes for the dogs... Isn't that the goal?

Anonymous said...

Lady was an idjit. Their policy is likely formed from the recent random acts of violence committed by individuals who were described as 'autistic'. Autism is a very broad spectrum of behaviors and people who aren't aware of that figure autism = crazy.

Which it isn't.

My condolences to you, I hope you find your new pup soon.

Anonymous said...

At the very least, you need to get your $90 back. Sue 'em if you have to.

Rusty

Anonymous said...

there's a fascist in everyone just biding their time, holding onto the little bit of power that they can wield over any other -perceived weaker- individual.
(liberalism is just fascism without the guns)

I'd gladly chip in to help you get a puppy from a breeder.

-fjord