Monday, July 1, 2013

Amazing DEET-free bug repellant


Good grief, I woke up with 4 more mosquito bites. I don't know what it is, but mosquitoes love me. They look at my freckled fair skin and drool. My blood is thick with sweetness and cupcakes. But it's not just that they love me, it's that I have a bad allergic reaction to their drool. Any bite instantly swells to gargantuan proportions, itches like mad and makes me a little nauseous. So when they gang up on me and turn me into an all-you-can-eat wiserangel buffet, it's utterly miserable.

Then comes an allergic reaction to DEET. And the realization that it just melted a hole in the nylon backpack. So what's an utterly delicious mosquito entree to do?

Voila, all natural, chemical free, safe for your kids bug repellent. And it smells good, too.

http://frugallysustainable.com/2013/05/bug-salve-how-to-make-a-deet-free-bug-repellent-balm/

And for those bites you can't completely avoid, aftercare without chemicals.

http://frugallysustainable.com/2012/04/a-recipe-for-homemade-itch-relief-stick-and-a-giveaway-for-you/

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angel, Angel, Angel.
No chemicals? Maybe no bad chemicals but yes chemicals.
Example: Bahing soda. Na HCO3
Honey. bee spit mostly sugar.

Like when I go to the store and see the organic food section I always ask where are the inorganic foods?

Mosquitoe repellant: vitamin B in beer. Drink lots of beer, a good chemical.

Insect sting, poultice of tobacco and human spit. See, more good chemicals. Haven't used this one since yesterday when a bee got me on the hand.

Having said all that bullshit, damn good links. Will be saving them.

Your favorite smartass,
Terry
Fla.
(maybe not favorite anymore)

Anonymous said...

Baking soda, not bahing soda. Where is the effing autocorrect when I need it.?

STOOOPID Terry using the iCrap.
:(

Mr. Miracle said...

Lucky mosquitos. Lucky, lucky, lucky....

jon spencer said...

A paste made from water and monosodium glutamate (MSG) works pretty good as a itch / sting reducer.
The is a very good no deet insect repellant,
http://www.rangeroutfitters.com/bye_bye_blackfly.htm
There is another product with the same name but is a spray and is not the same.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check these out. I'm allergic to DEET also. Mosquito bites don't get me so much as the DEET gives me a rash and makes me ill. Thanks for the links.

-CM

hiswiserangel said...

CM, I was thinking this would be a neat side item for your soap making. If anyone could make this work, you could.

Mr. Miracle, lucky? Are you a vampire?

Anonymous said...

Ooh! I could totally make the repellant salve with stuff already on hand! I think I have a new project coming up!!

-CM

Mr. Miracle said...

Not a vampire, dear, but possible an old wolf-man. But I was referring to the mosquito's once in a lifetime chance to nibble on a lovely Texas rose like yourself.