Saturday, April 27, 2013

Greenhouse

 
 
This looks like what we're building. Instead of the vents, we have two storm windows in each end and a storm door. The floor will be mulch and the planting beds in 6 foot oval cattle troughs that we get from the local ranchers for CHEAP. That looks to be about a 12x20x10 there. The hoops are made out of chain-link fencing top rail bent with the Lost Creek 20' bender. We also got a 12' and 10' bender and are looking to start doing this as a side business. I'd like to see a garden/greenhouse in every family's yard.
 
I'm taking pics of our efforts, (when I remember and get a chance to do it without getting yelled at) and will post our progress, through planting, growing and harvesting. Then y'all will get all sorts of interesting posts in the fall about canning, jellies, jams and pickles. Aren't you just excited?!

8 comments:

Paladin said...

I'm excited :) I love that sort of post.

Its hard to believe that just a week or so ago freezing temps were a problem, isn't it? Gotta love Texas weather.

Anonymous said...

I WANT ONE!!!! --Ray

Anonymous said...

Been wanting to do that for a while
like the last 15 years myself
Congrats on doing it

hiswiserangel said...

Ray, give me a weekend, and we'll get you one set up. The door and windows came from Habitat for Humanity's Re-Store for $100, the wood was about $125 (end frames), sheeting $130, poles were the most expensive at $300. And the mulch was about $50.

Angel eyes said...

Ahh, you had to mention the Re-Store. There was a great one at the old depot two blocks from the Dungeon of Despair (work). When it closed last summer I was heartbroken.
Looks like you're working hard.

Anonymous said...

Sigh! I wish. But I'm so far away that the gas would be more than the project. (I live outside Louisville Ky.) I'm probably closer to "K" than your house.---Ray

RabidAlien said...

Would love to do something like that in our back yard, unfortunately I tend to have two black thumbs and have even managed to kill a plastic plant. At a neighbor's house.

(found the link to your site by randomly clicking on a blogroll link on another site. Gotta love boring Sunday afternoons!)

hiswiserangel said...

Hey Rabid, welcome to the party! With good seeds and a great greenhouse, I bet you could even grow something edible. :-)

And yeah, I found some really good friends trolling the blogs on a slow weekend.