Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Two good reads



There were inquiries about the Vietnam book I just finished. So I wanted to post the link here, and then Brock Townsend also recommended one (HERE).

The book "The Ether Zone: U.S. Army Special Forces Detachment B-52, Project Delta" was recommended to me by wirecutter after we found out that I had been wearing a MIA/POW bracelet of a soldier who served in the same group as his soldier, MSG Shriver. As a matter of fact, MSG Charles Newton and Shriver went MIA within a week of each other (Newton, 17April69; Shriver, 24April69). MSG Newton's remains were identified in August 2010 and laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery on 5 October 2011. That was the day I retired my bracelet.

This book details both MSG Newton's and MSG Shriver's final battles, as well as the history of the group's creation and their battles through the Vietnam War. I can highly recommend it.

And I've just downloaded "Ripcord", so the next summer fluff book will have to wait.

http://www.amazon.com/Ether-Zone-Special-Detachment-Project/dp/1555716628/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376508295&sr=1-1&keywords=the+ether+zone

http://www.amazon.com/Ripcord-Screaming-Eagles-Under-Vietnam/dp/0891418091/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376508348&sr=1-1&keywords=Ripcord


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally I have something to contribute. Here would be three of my top recommendations. All different, but all with the real flavor and smell. The first is a novel, but by a Marine who fought there.
The other two are histories by participants.

http://www.amazon.com/Matterhorn-A-Novel-Vietnam-War/dp/B008GAZ70Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1376511479&sr=8-3&keywords=matterhorn+a+novel+of+the+vietnam+war

http://www.amazon.com/BURY-US-UPSIDE-DOWN/dp/B001QA7G3C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376511562&sr=8-2&keywords=bury+us+upside+down

http://www.amazon.com/Kontum-Battle-Vietnam-Battles-Campaigns/dp/081313398X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376511631&sr=8-1&keywords=kontum

-Rurik

hiswiserangel said...

Rurik, you always have something good to contribute, but thanks for adding to my growing Amazon addiction.

Robert Fowler said...

Chickenhawk by Robert Mason. A great look at the air war.

Brock Townsend said...

Chickenhawk

One of the best for sure. Couldn't get into "Matterhorn" as I was in the middle of Kontum: The Battle to Save South Vietnam and could not reconcile reading fiction, although I knew the author was a Vietnam veteran and had written it over a 30 year period.

indyjonesouthere said...

If I could recommend a book to anyone interested in the Viet Nam war I think I would start with "Stolen Valor" by Burkett.

Brock Townsend said...

"Stolen Valor

Yes and reminds me of a few more: A Decent Interval, About Face and A Bright Shining Lie.

wirecutter said...

C'mon folks, give me something I haven't read.

God bless our war Vets, alive and dead. They are the reason we're the greatest Nation on earth.

Brock Townsend said...

:) I'm not at Dixieland to check out my book shelves, but I remembered

The Boys of '67 and Steel My Soldiers' Hearts. Probably read them but here's one you may have not:

"The Rescue of River City"
http://www.namsouth.com/viewtopic.php?t=26&highlight=nago

hiswiserangel said...

And now it's turned into "Stump Wirecutter". :-)