Monday, August 31, 2015

Well, that just sucks monkey balls

Had my appointment this morning. I was all excited, the bleeding and draining had all but stopped, and I was absolutely sure I was going to be released to go on my merry way. But NO! Dr. Janet, in her tiny but capable hands, found a deeper pocket in my muscle. Samples were taken, and a decision was made. This is too big a project for a diminutive country doctor in a little rural office. So she's shipping me off to the big city of Amarillo for a surgical consult, and more than likely surgery.

Depending on how large the sac is and how deep the second pocket is, I may be able to get away with a local anesthetic and in office surgery. If not, it will be BSA Day Surgery and the full anesthetic treatment. I hate going under. I've got all the whackadoodle issues for which redheads are famous. We are more susceptible to pain (for some odd reason, we have more pain receptors) and are less susceptible to anesthesia. We require more of everything. And it sucks because it's almost as hard coming out of it and it was to put us under.

So yeah, September already sucks, here's a montage of puppies and babies to take our minds off of it.


14 comments:

stevierayv said...

Good luck

Anonymous said...

Dayum. My condolences for the bad news. That bone chip sure did you some damage. I hope long term effects are minimal.

Bright side - you have the makings for a good 'scar story' in the future.

Feel better ma'am.

Anonymous said...

Good to know. Double dose of roofies for redheads!!

-- genericviews

Martin Kohl said...

Wishing you all the best -- good luck and get well soon!

Anonymous said...

I know it might seem like a minor issue but if surgery is indicated, get second and third opinions. Learn all you can about each surgeon and choose wisely. At a minimum you want a board certified surgeon, not some third rate hack. In every field of endeavor there are slackers who exist to collect a paycheck and pros who seek to further their knowledge and skills. Make sure you get the latter.

Unknown said...

When you are whacked out on meds please post something. It will be awesome. Last time my mom went under we had a 20 minute talk on burritos on the way home.

Fjord said...

Sorry.
But on the bright side you had some temporary relief

When i read about your office visit i couldn't believe a GP would still do that in office.

Dan said...

Don't bitch just go. You need a surgical debridement to insure this is done right. Screwing around could cost you muscle tissue, an arm or even your life. Been in healthcare 38 years. This is NOT a minor problem.

drjim said...

Hope you get well soon, Angel.

Me and the missus will include you in the prayers tonight.

Anonymous said...

at least the whackers out in medi-park have a well earned reputation for good work....sincerely hoping the job can be done well in ofc and quickly.....

vaquero viejo

JC said...

Some doctors just don't know about ginger pain thresholds. It's well documented but rarely recognized. My local ER has a note: "If he conplains of pain, push 2 mg dilaudid. Anyone else would be in a fucking coma".

OTOH, I gat the 12 steppers on my out. "You're sure you're you;re not addicted?"

Jennifer said...

Sounds serious. Glad you are getting good treatment.

Robert Fowler said...

Get it taken care of ASAP. September does suck, I'm about to be 60. Wanna trade? I could use another good scar story. The knife wound and the 16 staples in my head are really kind of boring.

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention that redheads also bleed like a stuck pig. Have done anesthesia for a living for awhile now and I still think to my self "oh great, another redhead!" (said with much sarcasm) By the way...I married one. They are, after all, known for other things ;-)
Get better fast, and don't put it off...I have seen those go bad to worse in a New York minute. Luck!

Tim