Sunday, December 16, 2012

John Wayne, Playboy interview,1971

A Great American Icon

 
I remember sitting on the couch next to Poppy, every Saturday afternoon, watching old black and white (and sometimes color!) John Wayne movies. I never really understood Poppy's fascination, almost a "man crush" on Mr. Wayne,  but I did enjoy the movies. The more I read about him, the more I learn of his beliefs, the more I understand. Stumbled across the reprint of his Playboy interview this morning, and he was a visionary.

“Well, the liberals seem to be quite willing to have Communists teach their kids in school. The Communists realized that they couldn’t start a workers’ revolution in the United States, since the workers were too affluent and too progressive. So the Commies decided on the next-best thing, and that’s to start on the schools, start on the kids. And they’ve managed to do it. They’re already in colleges; now they’re getting into high schools. I wouldn’t mind if they taught my children the basic philosophy of communism, in theory and how it works in actuality. But I don’t want somebody like Angela Davis inculcating an enemy doctrine in my kids’ minds.” ~ John Wayne

Read the whole interview HERE, there's a link at the bottom that takes you to the full text. It's several pages long, but well worth the time.

8 comments:

Robert Fowler said...

Back when color TV's were a new thing, I watched all of JW's war movies. My all time favorite was Sand of Iwo Jima. He died at the end. He was my main inspiration foe joining the Marines right out of high school.

hiswiserangel said...

I loved Sands of Iwo Jima, but being a chick, my favs were his "romances". Loved The Quiet Man and McClintock! Who doesn't like a chase seen through a western town that ends with a cowboy giving a redhead a public spanking?

Mike Miles said...

I think I bought that issue....for the articles...

hiswiserangel said...

Okay, so supposing you were 18 in 1971, that would make you.... ?
And EVERYBODY buys it to read the articles....~bullshit~

Grand said...

I have a fondness for McClintock, as you might well suspect.

hiswiserangel said...

;-D Shocked!! I am shocked!!! And titillated...

Robert Fowler said...

Actually, back in the 70's they did have some pretty good articles and interviews. The nekid babes was just a bonus. Then something happened in the 80's and the articles got too... something. The fiction wasn't that good and most of the interviews were from people no one ever heard of with this or that axe to grind. I let my subscription lapse.

hiswiserangel said...

Reading the whole article, Mr. Wayne pinpointed exactly what went wrong with popular culture as mirrored by the movie industry.