Saturday, November 16, 2013

A documentary homage to Calvin and Hobbes



It will always be my favorite comic strip. I always wanted to grow up to marry Calvin, and have an affair with Hobbes.

On Watterson's refusal to license Calvin & Hobbes images
I think it goes to his respect for the medium. I think he had a sense that that sort of licensing would diminish the significance, the meaning of his characters. That 
suddenly if Hobbes was a plush doll, does that answer that mystery of "Is Hobbes real? 
Is he a toy?" . ... What Calvin says in the strip, does that have as much meaning if 
he's on a Happy Meal? I think now one of the reasons why fans still hold Calvin & 
Hobbes in such high esteem is that it hasn't been watered down. We see Calvin and Hobbes in the books, and that's where they belong.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Calvin and Hobbes!!! I used to cut the really good ones out and put them on construction paper to save and read for later. :)

-CM

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

"Like"

hiswiserangel said...

I have every anthology of C&H. Okay, well, "had". The Teen Queen claimed them a few years ago. :-)

idahobob said...

I have the "Complete Calvin and Hobbes", it is a three volume, hardback set. It has a place of honor on top of one of my many bookshelves.

And yes, I still read 'em! ;-)

Bob
III

Anonymous said...

I need to get the set. My brother took all of those when he moved out. I was informed I couldn't take them so the whole family could enjoy them, then the buzzard didn't ask and just did it. I'm still bitter about it. ;)

-CM

Jesse in DC said...

Watterson, and Calvin and Hobbes is up there with Walt Kelly and Pogo as first rate timeless examples of Art. I miss the strip still and often crack open the books. Glad I could read them daily when they were fresh too.