Friday, November 15, 2013

Lazy day

So yesterday was the Baby Queen's 16th birthday, which means today is the Mommy Queens 4? birthday. Yep. 16 years ago, Miss BQ arrived in the middle of an ice storm in a truly spectacular way. She tried to kill me.

After 16 hours of labor, a decision to break my water, and a really sucktastic epidural, I was fully dilated and ready to head for delivery. On the way, THE CONTRACTION  FROM HELL hit and the next thing I know, the nurse looked at the gurney and said "Oh shit, call Dr. B!" Miss BQ was not satisfied with the way things were progressing and found an alternate route through my uterine walls. I'm told I hung in there about 2 minutes before passing out; before 5 minutes, she was out and on her way to NICU. At 9 lbs, 8 oz and 21 inches long, she was the biggest baby to ever grace NICU. They had to go buy 3-6 month diapers and pull a full-term incubator up from the regular nursery. She was transfused through her little umbilical, fighting meconium poisoning, oxygen deprivation, and severe jaundice. But she was a Warrior. And she hasn't stopped fighting.

But, Angel, what about you? I woke up in recovery with 24 staples from my whoo-haw to my belly button, and a direct line in my neck. I was told I received 9 units of whole blood and crashed twice. I spent the night before my 3? birthday in ICU demanding the nurses either take me to my baby or bring her here. NOW. They weren't used to having loud, obnoxious, conscious moms in their ward. The ICU nurses wheeled me out of there bright and early the morning of my birthday. I got to see BQ later that morning after walking down to NICU and going through the sterilizing process. She was a beautiful, little pumpkin. So orange. But beautiful. Three days later, I got to hold her for the first time. I remember like it was yesterday and still get teary-eyed.

So today, I'm taking it easy. A load of dishes, making a roast and a Kahlua cheesecake. Had a mani-pedi with Spiced Cranberry polish. Cracking open a new book and doing nothing more than what pleases me.

10 comments:

stevierayv said...

Happy Bday I give you permission to do as you wish.I will raise a glass in your honor later.Just give me the dog years I can't multiply I swear.
Oh and quite the delivery story there I see why you remember that.

Anonymous said...

Happy ?day.

Terry
Fla.

Keads said...

Have a great one!

catfish said...

Happy B Day Red! Don't do anything I wouldn't do!

Heroditus Huxley said...

Happy birthday! Have a glass of wine in a bubble bath, this evening.

Richard said...

Happy day to you and also to the very pretty cherub of yesterday .
Proof that the really great things we have never come easy.

idahobob said...

Happy B-Day!

Memories.........;-)

Bob
III

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Angel!! I hope your day goes well. Sounds like a fabulous plan you've plotted. You had on heck of a delivery, for sure. You've earned your mommy stripes. ;)

-CM

Wraith said...

Happy Birthday, you mischievous cougar!! :D

Leigh said...

Happy Birthday, girly! Hope you had a good one.

OK, by your own admission, we can assume you are at a minimum 46. I do know what they say about assumptions, so I'll leave it at that.

My boy, and I, share the same birthday - funny how things like that happen.

Leigh
Whitehall, NY