Thursday, September 12, 2013

Perspective

This picture was titled "Haunted", all the comments were about how spooky and scary it looked and that they'd hate to be caught there. I looked at it and instantly thought of Robert Frost's "My November Guest".

My November Guest
 
My Sorrow, when she's here with me,
Thinks these dark days of autumn rain
Are beautiful as days can be;
She loves the bare, the withered tree;
She walked the sodden pasture lane.
 
Her pleasure will not let me stay.
She talks and I am fain to list:
She's glad the birds are gone away,
She's glad her simple worsted gray
Is silver now with clinging mist.
 
The desolate, deserted trees,
The faded earth, the heavy sky,
The beauties she so truly sees,
She thinks I have no eye for these,
And vexes me for reason why.
 
Not yesterday I learned to know
The love of bare November days
Before the coming of the snow,
But it were vain to tell her so,
And they are better for her praise.
Robert Frost

5 comments:

Ken aka fht451 said...

when I was a kid a (million years ago) there used to be old abandoned places around our area that I used to explore, I never worried about hauntings, I used to try to imagine the the families that lived there and what their lives were like. I guess that's why I like local, and eastern U.S. history so much. I find the picture intriguing.

Angel eyes said...

I still do that. Someone was here, what were they like?

Leigh said...

@Ken,
There are dozens of places around here, like you describe.

Abandoned farms, in the middle of the woods, in the Adirondacks. Old cellar holes, lost cemeteries, apple orchards in the middle of nowhere.... You'd find these things all the time deer hunting.

I used to wish I could stand on the top of Bald Mountain, and watch a time lapse from the 1400' to today.

Leigh
Whitehall, NY

RabidAlien said...

I'm the morbid one in my family who drives past a cemetery and wonders about the stories of those who are buried there. I'll drive through an old town, noting the date of construction on the facade (usually at the top, near a star or some other decoration) of an old storefront, and wonder about the people who built it, who opened businesses inside that building, what went on along the streets in front....

I think Leigh's Bald Mountain experience would be AWESOME!!!

(and for the record, I love cold, rainy days...just not on days when I absolutely have to mow the yard. Rain after I'm done, I'm fine with that!)

Angel eyes said...

There are a lot of pioneer cemeteries in my area. I love to wander around and read the headstones. Some are poetic and some are cryptic. They're all sobering.