Saturday, December 24, 2016

Dolly Parton's Imagination Library

When the girls were young, we were broker than the 10 Commandments. We couldn't even pay attention on time. But books and reading have always been important to my family, and thank God mom kept all of my childhood books up in the attic. Fourteen boxes of books from Dr. Seuss to Trixie Belden. The Cute Chicks have always loved to be read to, and now they grab books on their own. Until Baby Queen got her iPad, we didn't know she could read. She has tactile sensory issues and hates the feel and sound of turning pages; with the iPad, she breezes through books. We found out she's reading on an 8th grade level, basically self-taught.

Please spread this far and wide, for families who can't afford to buy books. Dolly Parton has established this program to make sure all children have their very own library.


Register HERE

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great story.

Exile1981

Terry said...

Great lady. I read she stepped up to help the folks in Siever County recover from the fires.
And what a voice. Saw her perform live years ago.

pigpen51 said...

My cousin is in guest services at Dollywood. She loves it. And of course, the more I hear of the good things that Dolly does, the more I love her. Is it just me, or are all the old time stars the ones who take of people like this? In any case, Dolly is giving to the right place. I have often said, after I learned to read, the only thing I needed school for was to learn to play music. And of course, sports was fun too.

Anonymous said...

the more I hear about her, the more REAL she becomes...she is what we need on stage and screen as a genuine role model...what a GREAT thing she is doing!


vaquero viejo

wirecutter said...

Without books as a youngster I probably would've turned out even more fucked up.