Saturday, March 15, 2014

We interrupt this blog

for a nature break. We've got absolutely gorgeous weather, the Canyon is calling. Packed a kick-ass picnic, grabbing the Cute Chicks and kidnapping grandma and Poppy. Going to spend as much time as possible exploring Palo Duro Canyon State Park today. Arrowhead and geode hunting (sssshhhhh, don't tell the park rangers), a little spelunking (frankly, the sandstone caves freak me out, I'm claustrophobic), and generally exploring. 

The park is 29,182 acres of gorgeous Spanish Skirt cliffs, hoodoo rocks, and history. It's 120 miles long and 20 miles wide at some points. I've been exploring it since I was a wee chick, grew up with the Head Ranger's sons, worked as a tour guide/hospitality for TEXAS Musical Drama all through high school, and I've probably seen about 10% of it. I've explored it on foot, horseback and 4-wheeler and haven't even come close to discovering all of her secrets. It calls to me.

Driving to it on 289, all you see is miles and miles of miles and miles. Flat prairie dotted with cows and mesquite scrub. And then you reach the very first finger of the Canyon, dubbed Suicide Cliff by the Army ROTC cadets who rappelled it's sheer sandstone cliff. 80 foot drop with a 20 foot concave bit at the very bottom. It was where I tied my very first Swiss seat. And almost pooped my pants. It was the site of my first date with my first boyfriend who was the first man to cheat on me and break my heart. But I still love it. Every time I pass it, I want to fling my ass over the edge one more time.

But today, it's just a leisurely trip, out in the sunshine and fresh air for a few hours. Just getting away. Hope y'all can do the same.



8 comments:

Arioathkeeper said...

Hello from Lubbock! I was once one of those young cadets from WT going over the cliff! Many great memories of that canyon.

Enjoy the weather while it lasts, you know this is Texas...

Ari

wirecutter said...

Been there before and it's gorgeous. You're lucky having something like that so close.

Anonymous said...

Yes its 66DEG.F. and sunny here with a winter storm warning. * SIGH* I HATE THE OHIO VALLY IN THE SPRING!---Ray

hiswiserangel said...

Ari! So cool, I was there 85-91. Made a stop at Suicide Cliff today, good memories.

wc, sadly I don't make it down there near enough.

Ray, I feel you. Weather changed while we were in the Canyon.

lboykin said...

Here is some more of West Texas.
http://vimeo.com/22132017

orbitup said...

The caves are great in the summer when you are sweating your ass off hiking. It's like stepping into a big fridge to cool off.

hiswiserangel said...

Darlin, I was chasing the cute chicks and trying to keep the Teen Queen from lodging herself deep in a cave. who had time for pics? I'll try to get down there some day when they're in school and take pics.

vector 1960 said...

I enjoy your stories. God bless.