Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A truly sheltered life

Reading wirecutter's childhood memoirs prompted a couple of memories of my own. You want sheltered? Here we go.

Poppy worked for the natural gas company for almost 34 years, we weren't rich by any standards, but mom was magic with money. It wasn't until I was older that I finally understood what sacrifices were made and how tight things really were. But we kids never knew we were "poor", whatever we needed, we had. What we couldn't pay cash for, we didn't need. I grew up understanding the fundamental difference between a "WANT" and a "NEED".

We lived in an old abandoned farm house that Poppy bought for $800, moved into town, and fixed up. I'm very familiar with "sweat equity". Lived in that house until 9th grade, when he bought another fixer upper (or as mom called it, a "burner downer").  We moved next door into the larger "new" house the summer before High School, and my folks still live there. While growing up with Poppy the Disciplinarian and mom the jury, I had the ideal All-American life. Church three times a week, playing outside until the street lights came on (or Poppy whistled, could hear him 10 blocks away), and talking about boys with my best friends and not knowing what the hell they were saying. We had a classmate named B.J. Head, who was always being teased. I was 18 before I got it. Clueless.

So we're in the family car headed to church, I was about 13 and my brother was almost 17. I don't remember what he was doing, but I lost it and yelled, "You are such a dildo!" I'd heard my friend Laura call her brother that and it seemed to fit. Poppy hit the brakes, the shoulder and stopped just short of the ditch. Mom's face was buried in her hands and Gary was howling with laughter. Poppy turned slowly around and nailed me to the seat with a look that would guarantee I wouldn't have a boyfriend. Ever.

"Where did you hear that word?"
"Laura, sir."
"Do you know what it is? Shut up, Gary."
"No, sir."
"Do you want me to tell you what it means? Shut up, Gary."
"No, sir."
"Are you going to say it again?"
"No, sir."
"Okay, you're grounded for two days."(totally unnecessary, I never went anywhere."

I was 20 and in college before I found out what a dildo was. Now, that's a sheltered life.

9 comments:

Wraith said...

And look at you now...! ;)

buckeyecopperhead said...

In today's 'Merica, they probably have "dildo" on 2nd grade spelling tests, among other terms.

"Ms. Jones, is 'bulldyke' one word or two?"

Anonymous said...

You are just showing off your "white privilege". I also am a victim of white privilege. My father married my mother. He often worked 3 jobs to provide for his wife and 5 boys. Many times when we were young we had a choice of oatmeal for breakfast and eggs for dinner, or eggs for breakfast and oatmeal for dinner. It wasn't our(the kids) choice. We also didn't know we were poor. All in all a good childhood as I remember it!

wirecutter said...

So you never did say how old you were when you stole your first car.
Just curious.

hiswiserangel said...

wc, I can barely drive and you want me to steal a car?!

wirecutter said...

Hey, I couldn't drive when I was 10 but that didn't stop me.

hiswiserangel said...

Sometimes I think God, himself, couldn't stop you.

wirecutter said...

He beats me about the head and shoulders sometimes. I can take a hint.

wirecutter said...

Hey! My last comment popped right up without moderation! Do have me some mad skills or what?