Sunday, July 14, 2013

Changing the inner voices

I've spent the last few days cleaning out my Pictures vaults. All the stuff I've been saving for a rainy day; I realized if I haven't used it by now, it wasn't that good to begin with, so deleted. I reduced my inventory by over half just getting rid of boobs, bacon, butts, and booze.

The boobs and butts are gone, never to return. Yeah, you guys like them, but there are plenty of other places to see that stuff. Having them staring back at me daily, judging me, was not a healthy thing. So I pulled a wirecutter and banished their perky tatas and toned abs. Be GONE!

The bacon stuff I reduced to pics and recipes. Lots of mouth-watering, artery clogging, deliciously decadent bacon recipes. You're welcome.

But by far the biggest waste of space on my laptop were the negative pity party pics. The poor pitiful me, nobody loves me, I'm never getting laid again shit. I read every single one before hitting delete. And with each one removed, I felt a little lighter, a little stronger, a little clearer. I'd been saving this shit as definitions of what I'd felt AT THE TIME, but allowing them to live in my head and heart long after their usefulness ran out. Out of almost 600 pics, 279 were the most negative steaming piles of shit you ever saw. And they are gone.  The last one to be deleted was this:

And I replaced it with this:
 
 
I have absolutely no idea what's in store for me in the future. But I'm tired of limiting my options to only the negative life has to offer. I'm tired of setting myself up for failure, expecting to be hurt, running from opportunities, hiding from the future in fear that, yes indeed, it could get worse.
 
I spent a good deal of time last week cataloging my wounds and betrayals, my shortcomings and failures. And like anyone who's lived almost 5 decades, there's a buttload. But for every single one, there was the same asset. I'M STILL HERE. I'm still alive and kicking. I'm still moving forward. I'm still open to life and people. I haven't shut down, I haven't quit. That's got to count for something, right? When all is said and done, I'm battered but not beaten.
 
So with a lighter, much lighter, burden to carry, with way more puppies and kitties than pity parties, I'm moving forward. And just to prove I still have my sense of beauty and humor firmly intact, I leave you with this:
 
 
My beauty comes from within,
my vulnerability comes from my imperfections,
but my strength comes from my willingness to grow.
No person on Earth is perfect,
everyone is perfectly beautiful.



20 comments:

Phil said...

True beauty comes from within and you are gorgeous.

hiswiserangel said...

Thank you, I forgive you for making me Den Mother. :-)

stevierayv said...

Well you are on your way to being happier I think.Fuck that shit is a perfectly good way to live your life.
Anyways It works for me.Be happy Angel only you can do it for yourself.

Anonymous said...

Angel, I understand completely where you're coming from. I'm going through a similar process in my own life. Sometimes it feels like you aren't enough, like no matter how hard you try you're falling short, and you just aren't good enough. Yeah, I understand completely. Working on those issues myself. I've ended up making myself ill trying to do it all and get everything done.

I'm working on re-prioritising the important things, decluttering the junk both physically and emotionally, and re-learning how to love me and not stress out. Sounds like you're making similar changes. Keep it up Angel! Just take it one day at a time, and try to do just a little better each day then the day before.

Hang in there babe. I know it's tough, especially when you feel the weight and responsibility of taking care of others, but you're doing great. Take a deep breath. Lots of people here are on your team and rooting for you!

-CM

Xenolith said...

Angel, I had a post set up for tomorrow, but what the hell, i'll post it today...although todays getting rather large.

Anyway, gorgeous lady, you will never be alone wif us hairy-legged, Y-chromosome crazy bloggers here for ya!

RabidAlien said...

+1 to what CM said. Been there, still struggling with my own personal demons.

hiswiserangel said...

Hugs to all of you. This is what I'm beginning to realize, why we all get along so well together. We all have our inner demons, and apparently, they play well with each other.

Anonymous said...

I don't have any demons And for that I have been called crazy most of my life. EMBRACE who and what you are- RUN to it fearlessly-jump up and down on it, and if you don't like it CHANGE IT!!!---Ray P.S I live each day so that I NEVER have to say I wish I'd..... when I die.

Jillian said...

*two thumbs up*

Jason said...

AMEN

Wraith said...

I wallowed in a pool of negative self-worth for years, and I can tell you that this is exactly how you start to heal: Tell those voices in your head to go get bent.

Way to go, darlin'!!

Anonymous said...

good for you red! the rat

Volfram said...

I'm right with that first picture. I can't imagine someone being attracted to me or interested in me like that.

Not without being an incredibly pathetic loser or an INCREDIBLY CREEPY STALKER!

Most likely the latter.

Unknown said...

Rock on, Angel! You are an inspiration to me! I so want to be you when I grow up!! Thank you, sweet lady! Keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will get there!

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!! Awesome words to live by! You deserve to be happy :)

hiswiserangel said...

Volfram, you get an extra Angel hug.

Meredith, hang in there, sister.

DT2, love ya!

Grand said...

I hope that the black ink is edible.

hiswiserangel said...

Grand, I'm pretty sure it's chocolate.

Volfram said...

Upon reading the second image, I am unrepentantly that, too.

Skip said...

Bitchin' looking chick from where I sit.
Good on ya Wise.