Sunday, February 23, 2014

III to III for a brother in NC

I'm bumping this up to the top today. It's important.

I've always known how blessed we are to live in the United States; as fucked up as she's gotten over the years, there is still no better place to be. You have opportunities here than you can't get anywhere else, this is  truly the land of milk and honey. But sometimes, even in the land of plenty, you'll hit a dry spot. A rough patch that doesn't seem like much, just a few things here and there, nickel and dime shit. But it suddenly becomes quicksand, each little thing sucking you down deeper, and the harder you try to escape, the faster you get sucked under.

It's estimated that the majority of American households are one major emergency away from financial disaster. Most everyone I know lives paycheck to paycheck; most know how to juggle bills like a Cirque du Soleil master. Pay this, that can slide, I can pay these credit card minimums with this credit card, and next month will be better. I can't tell you how many times I've pawned my wedding ring for just one more week until payday, with the hope of making it to tax return so that I can catch up. Every year was the same intricate financial ballet. And I was blessed with the Power of Enough. I'd have something happen, a $300 repair bill on the momvan or $150 on the heater, need $80 to get me over the hump, and open a refund check from some overpayment on a doctor bill that was just.....enough.

Carl, blogger of Sick of the Status Quo, is in the quicksand. From what I understand, and I can so relate, the avalanche started with a car issue, his truck's transmission crapped out on him and he can't afford to get it fixed and he needs transportation to get back and forth to work. Been there, done that, seriously sucks. Then the anxiety hits, and this has sent him to the hospital. And he sinks further in the quicksand.

While the nickels and dimes can drag you down, so can they pull you out. None of us has a fortune to give; but if you have anything, or if you're in his AO and can contact him with transportation help, I know he'd appreciate it.

Here's his blog with an address to contact him:

http://ccbpc.wordpress.com/2014/02/22/what-a-week/

and his gofundme site:

http://www.gofundme.com/6vtpk4

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for post and the donation. And you're right, at this point even nickels and dimes will help. God bless.