Monday, February 17, 2014

Internet Trolls: 1 in 20 seems a bit low

"Narcissists, psychopaths, sadists or Machiavellian? When it comes to online trolls, you can take your pick: Researchers say habitual electronic provocateurs have several of these serious personality issues."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/17/bad-news-for-commenters-considered-trolls/

This correlates with my III post from Saturday. Trolls will be trolls. They have nothing positive to offer because their sole purpose is self-entertainment and enjoyment, they are pot-stirrers with big ole shit sticks. Trolls are not there to advance the discussion or offer any positive input, that doesn't satisfy their craving for attention and gratification. If they can make you lose your shit and get down in the mud with 'em, that's a sure-fire hard on. We've seen these people on Facebook and hitting various blogs, tossing little shit grenades and trying to create dissension and, in some very extreme cases, outright conflict. My un-professional diagnosis for most of the Patriot trolls is Machiavellian and/or narcissist, a deep-seated need for recognition and approval with a touch of manipulative opportunism.

So what to do with a troll?

Ignore him. Starve him. Don't give him the attention and validation that his twisted little soul craves. If they can't get their negativity fix, they'll move on to greener pastures. But getting down in the mud with them only gets you and those around you filthy and frustrated.

10 comments:

Phil said...

As we used to say on a site with a ton of comments, DON"T FEED THE TROLLS!

It got to the point when one would toss a shit grenade that I would simply reply, "No Kibbles For You" and everyone else knew to ignore the fucker.

Worked pretty good too.

Jess said...

their sole purpose is self-entertainment

Is that what the cool kids are calling it these days? I'm always on the lookout for new euphemisms to add to my collection, and this looks like a fine acquisition.

Anonymous said...

Tell me, What is the difference between a Troll and a lurker? I read you, Wirecutter, Kerodin and several others every night, but never comment.(until now, it's just not my place.) does that make me a Lurker or a troll or just shy...and FB just sucks, although I am there, I do not comment anymore about anything. God knows who is listening.

Anonymous said...

aint dem trolls ya got 2 worry bout

Leigh said...

So, I guess that I failed that lesson a few weeks ago. Didn't I?

Leigh
Whitehall, NY

Unknown said...

As near as I can tell, a Troll is someone who comments to piss people off. A Lurker, as you call it, is someone who checks out something, enjoys it and comments as they feel necessary. Not a thing wrong with a lurker in my opinion. It's when you say something that is obviously going to irritate the living shit out of someone, just for your own amusement that upsets me. There is enough negativity out there with some idiot adding to it for no good reason.

hiswiserangel said...

Meredith hit it on the head. Exactly. Not a thing wrong with lurking, I still lurk on some blogs whose owners I don't know well. Trolling is a malicious, self-serving activity of small petty souls.

hiswiserangel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Infamous Oregon Lawhobbit said...

So what I'm just a little malicious, mildly self-serving, and have a medium-sized soul. Kind of a half-troll, then? Do I get fed - but only celery sticks and cottage cheese?

hiswiserangel said...

Have you intentionally pissed me off? No? Then you may eat cake with the rest of the peasants...