Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Angel's Bacon Cornbread Dressing

Okay y'all, time to kick it in gear for the big day tomorrow. We'll be at my folks for the meal and after-meal meal; and I believe it's my turn to do the bird and dressing. This one is so simple it's silly.

Make your cornbread, whatever mix you choose, and add the chopped onion, celery, garlic, sage and parsley to the batter BEFORE baking. Why, you ask? While it's baking, the onion and celery cook and the cornbread soaks in all the flavors of the seasonings.

While that's baking, get your bacon cooking. This is entirely up to you how much you want to put in, I always go for a pound. Get it to your preferred doneness and then chop and set aside.

After the cornbread has cooled, crumble it and about 8 slices of lightly toasted white bread (I prefer Texas Toast bread, because, well, DUH) into a large (really large) mixing bowl. Add most of the chopped bacon and toss. Add 2 eggs slightly beaten and 2 3/4 cups chicken broth. The broth, again, is to taste. Remember to add it slowly. You can always add more, but it's hard to take it back out. Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper. Toss to mix and let it sit, then toss it again. If you can't tell, I'm sampling the white wine while I'm doing this. Then turn into a greased baking whatever and top with the remaining bacon. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes or until the top is browned to your taste.

Now you've noticed a marked lack of measurements and details. This is something that is such a personal dish, you really only need guidelines rather than rules. The size of the mixing bowl and baking dish is relative to the number of relatives you're feeding. I usually make a roasting pan full of dressing. And only twice has it been too much, if there is such a thing.

I am sending you my deepest wishes for a very Happy Thanksgiving. Hug everybody you love, even if they are or have recently been difficult to love. Understand that misunderstandings are temporary, family is forever. I am very grateful to have added each and every one of you to my family.

Hugs,

Angel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, new tradition at CM's house! That sounds fabulous. I'm going to try it since I've never had a dressing recipe that I absolutely love. Thanks for the recipe.

Happy Thansgiving to you and yours Angel.

stevierayv said...

Have a Happy Thanksgiving Angel may it be a blessed one.