Thursday, November 29, 2012

My Charlie

Charlie, girl won't sit still for a pic


Tomorrow marks the 13th anniversary of Charlie joining our family. A little background story, 1999 was rough, both of our daughters were diagnosed with Autism within 6 months, we moved to a tiny little town, away from family, and I was basically on my own while hubby worked 2-3 weeks at a time on the road. During their November checkup, the girls' doctor recommended, "Get them a pet, a dog will help them with socialization skills and keep them grounded in reality." Oh joy, another mouth to feed and take care of.

We get home and the phone rings, "Um, get a DURABLE pet, LARGE dog. No puppies or kittens or guinea pigs. Think DURABLE." Heh, he really knows the girls. So while I'm contemplating durable dogs that night, I hear a truck pull up in front of the house, door open and close, and then drive off. Weird. Next morning I go out to get the paper and this sad, starved, scared to death dog is sitting at the end of the driveway looking down the road. Son of a bitch, somebody dumped a dog on our property. She was a sorry looking thing, bald spots on her muzzle and shaking. As I got closer, I could also tell she was very pregnant; so skinny that you could count the pups. But as soon as I looked in her eyes, I knew. This was the girls' dog and God had made the decision for us.

It took a good week, setting out bowls of food and water, placing them closer and closer to the house, but eventually she came to the understanding that we were her people and she was home. I had just gotten her settled in the backyard, brand new red collar and dog tag, when she had her pups. It was early December, our first snowfall; and when I came back from dropping the girls off at school, Charlie grabbed me by the wrist and took me into the shop behind the garage. There, in a shivering little pile, were seven fat, fluffy furballs. She then grabbed my wrist and took me to the backdoor of the house. Uh-huh, got it. Miss Charlie and family were NOT spending another minute in the cold.

It took some maneuvering, with her hot on my heels, but I got her kids moved into the laundry room where she nestled down and got to the business of  being a mom. She was an EXCELLENT mom. Many times I found my oldest nestled in with Charlie and the puppies, sound asleep. After the puppies were all adopted out, Charlie settled in to her role as 2nd Mom to the girls. She instinctively knew how to reach the girls, how to watch them, handle them, love them. She is their guardian angel in so many ways.

It's obvious the years are catching up to her. She's slowed down a bit, and her muzzle is graying as much as my hair. I have so very many stories of this beautiful dog; too many to put here. Just wanted to share her Anniversary with people who understand.

14 comments:

timbo said...

What a wonderful story.
And that is one handsome doggy!

Grand said...

We understand.

crankyjohn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hiswiserangel said...

For all incense and porpoises, Charlie is my dog. Or as hubby says, I'm the Alpha Bitch. But if the girls need her, she'll leave my happy ass in the dust. :-D

crankyjohn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hiswiserangel said...

I teared up writing it. Wait until I have to say goodbye and come to cry on y'alls shoulders.

Keads said...

Great story. Thanks for sharing it. That is a good looking dog!

Anonymous said...

What a great story Angel. Love the picture! :) xoxo

hiswiserangel said...

timbo and keads: thank you, she's sexy and she knows it. :-) We think she's an Australian shepard mix. She definitely has the hearding mentality.

Grand, thank you.

dt2 hugs back.

WiscoDave said...

GREAT story, hwa! It does surely seem it was meant to be.

Anonymous said...

I had an Ausie growing up coolest dog ever. Your bears an awful lot of resemblance. Thank you for sharing the story HWA. It brought back some great memories.
Riley

Travelin Light and Well Heeled said...

dammit girl ya done brought a tear to me eyes

but you is forgiven
thanks for sharing

now got to go see if CGD is doing allrite
wirecutter too ;);)

orbitup said...

That's a sweet story, there were no boobies though.

hiswiserangel said...

Sorry, couldn't get Charlie to roll over on her back. :-D